Sunday, March 21, 2010

December 20th in Tokyo too

The original plan was for me to stay 2 nights in Tokyo, but we had a doctor's appointment for Ritsy early Monday morning, so I had to head back to Hamamatsu Sunday. DP, Steve and I headed over to Harajuku to check out the grand spectacle.
This picture doesn't do justice to the array of unusual people we encountered on the walk through, but I didn't want to start taking pictures of people, so this was the only one.

DP was looking a bit tuckered out after the morning (and late night the night before), so we let him take a bit of a lie down while Steve and I wondered around Shinjuku. The atmosphere on Sunday nights is amazing there. They close the streets off to traffic and there are people walking everywhere. We even saw two walking Corona bottles, which I didn't photograph, but I was impressed with the live jazz in the middle of the street as shown above. After a great walk about and exploration, I said my goodbyes and headed home.
Back in Hamamtsu, I could see the 'tree' that is known as Fuyu no hotaru (winter firefly). I believe this tree is getting torn down now. Every year, the tree is illuminated with a new light pattern and some different music shows are played. Now this area is cordoned off and it looks like it will no longer be. Too bad, it was a nice atmosphere for the walk near the station.

No comments: