Thursday, May 24, 2007

A Normal Post... :-)


It was really fun to recount the story of my mom and aunt's trip over the last several entries, and I had some more adventures last month that I will talk about starting next entry. But this time, I want to make a regular entry.

Well most of the people that are reading this already know, but it looks like I am going to be a dad! Of course we have had an idea this will happen for the last 2 or so months, but I wanted to wait out the first 3 months before really announcing it. Well at the 3 month (or is it 4- I am a little confused actually) checkup it looks like everything is proceeding as expected and Ritsy is indeed still bearing child. Wow! I am going to be a papa... I think it is still a bit surreal to me right now but it is starting to sink in!

Well what does that mean for me then? Ritsy will be able to take a year's maternity leave but will make a greatly reduced salary, so the two of us definitely need to build up our savings before then. While I had worked hard to make my schedule easier on myself in this year, I now have to step back into the fray a bit and work a little extra. So, I am working Mondays again for now and will probably take a few strange classes that I might not have before. I can live with that and should be able to have a little bit saved by time we have the baby. Ritsy should have a bit saved too, thanks to Bonus time coming up.

It looks like I might have to cancel plans for returning back to Canada this year though! That really sucks, I could use a little dose of Vancouver right about now. I had been planning to take the trip during Obon so that I wouldn't have to disrupt my schedule, but that would have meant that the trip would be a bit expensive, well that renders the trip basically improbable. That makes the recent visits from my mother, aunt and Scott more valuable to me, at least I did get a bit of a taste of home this spring!

Right now, I still have a bit I need to learn about the pregnancy process in general and how it works in the Japanese system. I will start my research soon!

Well either way, it is a new, exciting and welcome experience!

Thanks to the miracle of photoshop and an old picture of my sister and nephew Mac (sorry Tracey!) I have created a picture showing what our baby might look like. Cute eh?
One more bit of news- this coming Monday is my wife's birthday and I had already planned to take her out to dinner on Sunday. On Tuesday one of my students- Satomi was nice enough to give us a couple of tickets to see the soccer team Jubilo play on Sunday afternoon. That should be a fun day! I was really touched by my students thoughtfulness!

Okay next up.... Tokyo Times...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey Todd!
mak's here.
Congratulations to you and Ritsuko, concerning your new family member.
Wishes all my best, and already eager to see the newly born child.

see ya soon,
mak