Tuesday, September 11, 2007

Let's! English study!

Just wanted a picture for todays post
I was driving today and was reminded of a very common English mistake that is made here in Japan (which I may have spoken about before in this blog...). The car in front of me at the light had a well meaning bumper sticker that said "Let's! Safety" . What the heck does that mean? I especially liked the exclamation point after Let's - instead of at the end of the phrase where it should be.

Now, for a long time- I have been reminded of the "I am a safety driver" phrase pretty much everywhere I drive. How did such a blatant English mistake become so widespread I mean you would think that a politician or PR man somewhere must have taken a couple of English lessons and spotted the error before it was plastered everywhere! Could it be that people just don't care if it is correct or not....? Nah!

On a serious note- I saw on the news (the 10 minutes of CNN headline news I could catch the other day) the video clip of the mom in the U.S. racing the train, and beating it, only to get hit by a train coming the other way. She instantly killed her two daughters and was in serious condition at the time of the report. The whole video sickened me. It's one thing if you are going to drive like a clown and risk your own life.Let's not forget that you are still a hazard to everyone surrounding you on the streets too, but if you are driving your two children around-- you err on the side of caution. I mean what is worse, being a little late for your Pilate's, or killing your children? Don't get me wrong- I am sure she feels like crap about it, but I think that is a gamble you just don't take. Alright- I haven't had a rant for a while. When I think about being a Safe Driver, it is video like that which inspires me to drive well, more than a silly little catch phrase like Drive Safely. NEWS LINK.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Todd... you ever do any driving on the Tomei? Great place to see ridiculous driving EXACTLY like you describe.

-Marc (from Yamaha)

Todd L said...

Hey Marc,

Yes, I have been on the Tomei a couple of times. I love the quick lane changes that the truck drivers do. I remember being on the highway bus one time and seeing a guy watching tv while driving, the focus was nowhere near the road. It's simply amazing!

Anonymous said...

Hi Todd.

Do you remember the word "festival"?
Please access my web site.
http://www.k2.dion.ne.jp/~ma2ri/

I took the TOEIC test yesterday.
TOEIC score might go up thanks to Todd .
I look forward to the result.

Please call me maturinoatode(new nickname).