Sunday, August 10, 2008

Who are the people in your neighbourhood?

Hamamatsu is full lots of amazing wildlife. The rare Ken beast is just one of the critters you can find out here. Ones that I don't have pictures of include the Wild Boar (actually we spotted one a bit North of here, not sure if it is still Hamamatsu...), the Japanese Raccoon dog (Tanuki) and I have heard that the deadly Japanese Pit Viper can be found.
One insect that is synonymous with summer is the Cicada. I like the Japanese name better- Semi, it's easier to say. They are a little ugly to look at but I kind of like the machine like drone they make that fills our ears throughout the summer.

One of the worst things about summer here is the Cockroaches come out. I actually found a big one in one of our drawers the other day. I hate them but I sprayed around and cleaned the stuff in the drawer and moved on. Ritsy was freaking out for the next day or so though. We got an insect bomb and hopefully got the little bugger.

This next pictured spider is ugly but apparently eats the Cockroaches...
They get pretty big too. Probably about the size of a baseball the one I saw sitting outside my door the other day. I have decided to live peacefully with them because they eat the very gross Cockroaches...

I have seen more odd beast around, but sadly not when I had my camera handy. I saw some lizards that live in the ditches. A Praying Mantis which looks scary, but is pretty harmless I guess. And Centipedes and Millipedes Which I strongly dislike too.

These are just some of the people in our neighbourhood....

No comments: