Wednesday, August 12, 2009

The present for a moment

Borrowed from Yahoo.com

It was bit of an apocalyptic scene here yesterday morning. While we were supposed to be getting hammered by a typhoon in the early hours of the morning (though to be honest I didn't hear anything) we were hit by the largest earthquake I have ever felt. Most people by now have heard about it- the 6.6 magnitude gave our house a good shake, and it wasn't a quick shake, it continued for a good 30-60 seconds. I was still sleeping so at first had pulled my blanket over my head, then thought about how easily a piece of broken glass could slice through, so I moved to the doorway and made sure Ritsy and Ken were okay. In the end nothing broke and no injuries. In the end the only damage I saw first hand was at a store that said their elevator broke. Brand new store too.
Borrowed from Tracey's Facebook page

It'a been a summer of nature rearing it's ugly head. My sister was evacuated for 4 days from Lillooet as a wildfire that couldn't be contained at all was making it's way dangerously close to town. Happily enough she was able to return to an intact town safely, but the fire is still going, so unless the rain comes, it could happen again.

The best news, though, is that everyone is okay and safe (knocking on wood as I type) and I think everyone takes a piece of a summer that we will all remember.

No comments: