Monday, January 3, 2011

Ken's room

Sleep tight

Ken has been co-sleeping since birth, something that is quite common in Japanese families. Since Mona came along, I have had duties sharing my bed with him. He is actually a pretty good guy to sleep with, no feet in my southern orifices or whatnot. But now he is 3 years old and Ritsy is back to working graveyard shifts at the hospital from this coming weekend. So yesterday we went live with the 'Ken's bedroom project'. Actually we started working on it a few months ago. Ritsy bought some bed sheets that would agree with his sensibilities and we will convert an old sofa of ours into a Thomas sofa later on. I have also been doing 'practice falling asleep by himself runs'. We started with 5 minutes solo and around the 17 minutes solo trials he was often falling asleep.


So last night was the first run with the room changed out and it was a success. I read a book, kissed goodnight and turned the light off. We never heard a peep from him. I was able to help put Mona to sleep (now located in my room) and in the future this will be really helpful for when it is just I or Ritsy putting him to bed. Even though the first day was a success I am sceptical, I am sure there will be some bumps on the road, but it's a start!
Good Job!

No comments: