Friday, October 24, 2008

A sort of anniversay

Yes October 14th marked the one year anniversary of breaking my leg. So much has happened since then and the burden of getting around and remembering all the things that we take for granted seem such a distant memory.

One of they by-products of the injury was me putting on a few pounds. I remember even at that time I wanted to shed a few more pounds, but I gained about 4 kilograms in the ensuing year for a wide range of reasons/excuses.

Well in June I tipped the scales at 81 kg, and it was time to put my foot down. Or more accurately my feet down. I researched on the net for a good running program, one that was easy to get into and I found this site and it's Couch Potato to 5K plan. It was perfect for me. I decided not to talk about it because of a tendency to abandon projects at times.

In the first few weeks I was only continuously running for 3-5 minutes with lots of walking breaks in between. It had me wheezing more than a few times! But slowly it climbed and worked it's way up to 30 minutes straight running time. There was a week or two I had to take off due to an ankle that got increasingly soar. After the week, it was fine and I carried on.

Now 4 and a half months later I have managed to bring my weight down to 75 kilograms with more loss in my targets. I run 30 minutes 3 times a week and it doesn't tire me out at all.

On top of the weight results, I think I also went a long way to strengthening my leg after my injury. So it is all in all a good thing.

No comments: