Tuesday, November 4, 2008

A Japanese fad in full swing- Bananas


I'm really sorry if you are checking my blog sometimes and have found no updates for the last little while. I am still trying to learn how to manage my time with the new apparent "more free time" I should have, but I am not really finding the time to sit down and blog.

Bananas- you know them, you love them. Well the short story is that a woman developed a diet whereby you eat just a banana or 2 for breakfast and some warm water, then you can eat anything you want for the rest of the day. They had a rather large Opera singer use the diet and managed to lose 15 pounds somehow in a few weeks. I watched the program and called BS from the get go. I am confident that not only is there a missing piece of information- or straight out misinformation- Japanese TV has been caught lying before. But this sparked a national craze and since then Bananas have been in high demand and are often sold out at the stores.

This really illustrates the power of the TV in Japan. I feel that if this information were displayed back home, people would look at it sceptically and maybe try to read up on it or ask someone in the know about the validity of the diet. But here, people see a quick hit-- an ultra-easy way to lose weight painlessly and just jump on the very large sized bandwagon. It's insane, the ladies I know that have tried it said it produced no results, same as when they tried Billy's Boot Camp last year during that fad.

Well, I guess- That's Japan!

No comments: