Saturday, January 12, 2008

Resolutions for the year

Our planet still looks beautiful despite being wounded
Quick Note: I was directed through this website with some great pictures taken from the Space Shuttle- (the source of the lead picture today)if you are into that sort of thing, check it out here.

Every year, I do think about what sort of changes might be good for me in the coming year. I guess you can call it a resolution, though I tend to think of it more as a personal reassessment with potential improvement suggestions....

Aside from the typical- lose 10 pounds (which I really sucked at last year- I was doing alright holding my weight but after the fractured ankle put on 2.5 kg), have a healthier lifestyle, all that junk. I think that there is something that I need to seriously address. I don't know if it is because I am now a father or if it just has been in the back of my mind for a while- but it's time to get serious about the environment thing.

Rather than passively sit back and make note of which practices aren't "Eco friendly" it's time to start looking at my daily pattern and assess what changes need to be made. I am already pretty happy with my effort with driving. I, of course, chose not only a cheap car- but one that is reputed for it's ecological friendliness. I furthered that last year by concentrating on my driving technique. A small example would be- do you ever catch yourself keeping your foot on the gas pedal after you see a traffic light change to red and you know that you will be stopping soon? Why not (if it is safe to do so) just stop accelerating and just allow your car to coast to the red light- does it matter if it takes a few extra seconds to get there? Likewise with going downhill. Just a couple of examples and I think that when I am doing it well, I am seeing results- I had one tank of gas last year get me over 600 kms. I know in Japan the "idling stop" campaign is popular- turn off the engine at a red light- I haven't tried it as of yet- but an old student of mine swears it works. Maybe a 7oo km tank of gas awaits in the future.

Not just gas though, there are some things that I need to improve on drastically. Avoid over-packaged foods, buy more bulk(again reduce packaging), discontinue use of 'blatantly disposable' goods like Paper towel (just use a washable cloth-though there is the water pollution to think about). Also be smarter about food quantities and more efficient with leftovers- throw out less food- overeat less. I am just touching the iceberg- and it's going to be tough to make a remarkable adjustment- but the important thing with changing habits is to enjoy the little victories and never give up even if you fall off the horse every now and then.

It's easy to see why. It's middle of winter now and the days are warm out. Like it's spring! The summer is getting hotter and the cold days are becoming fewer and farther between. It's scary. We have to have some sort of a world to leave to the little guy,and the animals who are ignorant of the brutal damage we are doing to this world...

And now a little bit of the norm- the (innocent) cats and (future of the world) Ken..

1 comment:

cathy said...

Hi - this video isn't working for me - not sure if it is my computer.
Mom