Monday, February 4, 2008

Looking back again- Kamakura

I haven't had a flashback post for a while, so I remembered that I wanted to reflect back on our trip out to Kamakura back in the Tokyo days. Kamakura is one of the few special treasures in the
Kanto area that remained relatively untouched from the history decimating bombings back in the 2nd world war. You can walk for hours in a day from temple to shrine in the town and still not cover everything. I know that Ritsy and I spent 2 days walking around and there was still a lot we didn't see.
It was in Kamakura that I first started to notice the way that the little statues get dressed up in red, and I always loved this picture.
An image that stands out of Kamakura is the lead picture. This beautiful little town sits next to the seaside, as it was a beautiful and clear day- it made the experience that much nicer.
Kamakura has the other big Buddha (Nara Todaiji). The Daibutsu. This was about 4 years now, so it's tough to compare, but I think Nara's Daibutsu had a larger scale feeling- I'm not sure if it is amplified because it is surrounded by a building, or if it is just larger...
We saw a number of temples and buildings, but sadly I have no memory of the names of the places. Of course the main thing I notice is how much skinnier I was back then...
This place was quite lovely and peaceful as well.
Sadly, one of my favorite places in that trip we weren't allowed to take pictures. Inside a dimly lit big building was a number of statues that have stood for a thousand years or so. They have survived many a typhoon and earthquake and weren't the most amazing looking, but the atmosphere and the history created a nice feeling.
Sorry as far as a tour of Kamakura goes, my reporting is shoddy- but 4 years is a long time-- I will definitely have to go back one day to fill out those memories and create some new ones!

No comments: