Monday, February 18, 2008

A return of sorts

It's already been 4 months since that incident that Chris so expertly depicted on my Funwall on Facebook. Of course I had my leg grafted back on and hung out in a cast for the next 2 and a half months. It was probably about December 26th when the doctor said I was okay and ready to do sports again. But I didn't. Probably part of me had a small fear of re-injuring myself and going through that horror show all over again. Another part of me probably was thinking it's time to throw in the hat and just admit that I am getting older. Of course another part of me was just busy because of the baby.
It was time to stop being conquered and be the conquerer once again. It was time to return to the courts. I called up Chris who was raring to go and rounded up Pete and Atsu to witness the returning of the fallen warrior. To aid in the rebuilding of the legion of confidence that had been vanquished by the months of pain- and a fair number of delicious chocolates. As it was time to throw down the first hoop, to get back on the proverbial horse, my stomach dropped and there was self doubt washing over me.
What did the basketball gods hold for me? I looked skyward and saw an ominous cold, black cloud making it's way towards Misono Chuo Kouen. I stood up and held my breath to still my racing heart, my brain was awash in nervous energy and threatened to overtake me. It was now or never. I stood up and hurtled the little orange missile at the hoop, laughing at me ever so tauntingly. Kachunk - it hit the rim and fell dead to the ground. Yes, I missed as I always do! I was back! After that moment every step, every missed shot became that much easier. A game formed and my confidence started to deteriorate as I tried to alter my game to be less about cheeky moves and more smart plays. I sat out and let Chris and Pete take over.
By the end of the session I was confident again to be able to try out a few of my old moves again.
But the same swarm of guys that we played with back on that fateful day (which Chris says he hadn's seen once since that day) showed up and took over the court and the black cloud overtook the small berg of Hamakita. It was time to pack it in. On the way out, I could see these poor shoes taking refuge from the snow on the roof of this car.

No comments: