Friday, February 16, 2007

The Miracle of Tofu


One of the great things I have really discovered with trying to save money and lose a bit of weight over the last year is the versatility of tofu! A serving of tofu (when using budget priced tofu from the local store) is about 33.333333333 yen each and anything you serve it with is quite delicious!

Today the fridge was pretty barren so I took the tofu and sliced it up and microwaved it for a few seconds to warm up. I then sliced up a quarter of an avocado and put it on top, then topped it with some salsa and sour cream. Microwaved for a few more seconds and it was pretty darned good!

I often take a serving of tofu and chop it up and throw it in a frying pan, when the tofu starts to brown a bit, I will throw in some kimchee and some kimchee sauce. Serve it alone or with some rice it is simple to cook and just great to eat!

Tofu topped with just teriyaki sauce is great too! ( I pre-made a big batch of teriyaki sauce like we used to make at the brewhouse, so it takes no time to throw this one together)

It is quite popular to eat tofu simply served with some grated ginger and soy sauce, though I haven't had it like that in quite a while.

Tofu is also a good compliment for any leftover sauces you might have- I personally like slapping leftover meat sauce with tofu. While this was definitely invented out of the height of laziness, it actually is quite good and I often consider it even when not feeling lazy.

I also have been a big fan of Mabo Dofu since the first time I came to Japan (never had it in Vancouver, Chinese food is just different there).

I guess this whole revelation is more exciting for me because before meeting Ritsy, I never ate the stuff. I thought it was bland and not worth the time to explore. It has now turned into a staple of my everyday life!

Ya, I know I have lost my mind, but as Tofu is a big part of Japanese food, I will count this as part of Japanese life.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You are good photographer!
It looks really delicious tofu!
I feel like having tofu now.

By the way , There is a famous tofu factory near my place.

It is " Sube-Shouten",and they sell unique beverage.

check here ↓
http://www.at-s.com/bin/yell/YELL0020.asp?id=F800036929

Todd L said...

Well, I would like to take credit for the photograph, but I actually stole it from a website! I am really good at searching on Google though!