Wednesday, February 14, 2007

That's Japan! (Issue 1)


In today's issue of That's Japan! We will explore the exciting world of the things that make Japan unique and a couple of instances of what makes Hamamatsu unique.

1. Unagi
When you travel around Japan, or talk to the Japanese about travelling you learn that one of the great identities of a region is often what food is famous from there. In Hamamatsu the big popular dish is broiled freshwater eel- also known as Unagi. Probably the most popular way to eat it is Unajuu- Unagi broiled and slathered with sweet barbecue sauce served over a bed of rice. Sometimes we will eat it broiled without the sauce with soy sauce and fresh grated garlic, it is actually quite delicious (and healthy!).
You can also find Unagi Pie- which doesn't look like pie at all , it looks like little cookies and tastes like sugar cookies. The little unagi pies are supposed to be very good to improve fertility and... relations.... I am so happy I ended up here since I love Unagi, it would have been a nightmare to end up in Ibaraki where natto comes from.

2. Enshu Kara Kaze
It doesn't usually hit me so much living a bit north in Hamamatsu, but the region in infamous for it's windy conditions. Quite logically too, as this area is quite close to the ocean. Enshu is the old name for this region, it was Enshu province a very long time ago. Kara Kaze translates to dry wind. If you are in the southern area on a dry windy day, it can bite!
3. Some websites about Japan
I would love to go on about the crazy signs(or shirts) we often see written in bad English, or the interesting commercials featuring North American celebrities, but there are already two excellent sites that I can point you to that have been around for a long time! Both Japander and Engrish have been quite popular for a while and have been a constant source of amusement! If you haven't checked them out, please do!
4. Chikan
I find most of my experiences in Japan have been positive and leave me with a great respect for the people of Japan. But some things make me sick to my stomach and one of them is chikans. Ladies, if you take a train or subway in Japan, especially a crowded city like Osaka, Tokyo or Nagoya- you may find yourself being groped by a stranger. I have never seen a profile of who the culprits are, but I tend to think it is usually older men- but I remember an incident where a group of college students surrounded a girl on a train in Tokyo to touch her. It is sick and cowardly, I was always trying to catch someone in the act when I lived in Tokyo but to no avail. Recently the trains in the bigger cities have a "Women only" train to give safe haven from the perverts.
5. Karaoke
Out for a night with your friends and missed the last train at 12:45? No sweat! Sing the evening away at a big box karaoke place! I hear that karaoke isn't as popular as it was 10 years ago, but it is still prevalent here and I have even partaken in it myself from time to time! While I heard it is a way to wait out the night for some, it is also a destination as the main event for a night out sometimes. It is surprisingly addicting and fun, try it!

That concludes this installment of That's Japan! Tune in next time as we explore the world of me-do kissas, the red train, music to wake up to and more!

No comments: