Wednesday, July 11, 2007

Babies and insects

A leftover Sakura picture that has nothing to do with today's post!
Middle of July already! It's crazy that now in about 4 months I will be a dad- it doesn't get driven home any clearer than that! We are currently investigating where to have the baby. You used to be able to deliver in woman's clinics or hospitals, but the law changed fairly recently so that you can't have the baby in a clinic anymore. But this is where I get confused, apparently there is a type of clinic known as a "midwife's clinic" there you can, in fact deliver. I don't get what the difference is between a mid-wife and a clinic doctor, but apparently the mid-wife is more qualified in case of emergency? Well, I am not sure of the reasoning behind it, but the bonus is that the clinics are typically cheaper than the hospitals- so Ritsy went today to meet with the Mid-wife clinic to see if she is able to deliver the baby there. If not we will probably have to choose the local University hospital- Idai, as it is the most reasonable priced.
There is actually a closer hospital that they are just completing the building on. It's probably within a kilometer from my house, but the hospital is slated to open in November- since we are expecting in November there has been concern about the state of preparedness the hospital will be in by that time.

I picked up the baby bed from my student Koji yesterday, it's so nice to have people offering stuff like that- every little bit counts!
I got an e-mail from one of my previous students yesterday, his wife just had a baby and he sent me the picture! Congrats Harry!
This insect freaked me out when it flew into my car last week. I have no idea what it is ( long horned beetle?) but it was quite big and had no business being in my car! I don't really like Beetles very much (though I do like The Beatles), they are quite popular with the kids in Japan, but they remind me of cockroaches with long horns or antlers...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

That insect's name is " kamikiri-mushi"! :-)

Todd L said...

Looks like that translates into a longhorn beetle.