Friday, July 13, 2007

The journey through Cathy's eyes - part 1

It's sometimes interesting to go back through someone else's pictures and see the views and vantages that they had taken from the same places you have gone. It's incredibly interesting as in some ways people's personality and interests bleed through into their photos and almost give us a fresh perspective on something we have already been through. I recently started going through my mom's pictures from her April visit and I picked out 10 of my favorite pics that I will post over the next two postings. In the above picture, you can see Risy, My Aunt Liz and I standing on the steps up to Kofukuji.
We saw this shop where they would make mochi right in front of our eyes. They apparently were a little bit famous from Nara and had appeared on a few popular Japanese TV programs. It was quite the show, I am surprised there isn't more businesses that are run like this.
This beautiful picture comes from one of the many gardens we visited in Nara- sorry I have already forgotten the name of it. Here my mother has quite masterfully caught a beautiful blend of green nature contrasted with the wooden railing and the very Japanese looking house.
I had a similar shot to this one, the garden with the Todaiji temple peaking out over the tree tops. This picture is equally as beautiful and visually pleasing.
One of the personality traits that were apparent her pictures was her interest in the beautiful manhole covers- it was tough to pick one that stood out, so I decided not to use one here. Another thing that held Cathy's attention was the Japanese cemeteries so she was quite excited about these graves on the way up to Byakugoji temple. Turned into quite an interesting picture too...
More tomorrow...

1 comment:

cathy said...

Hi, Todd - thanks for the kind words about my photography
Cathy