Tuesday, January 16, 2007

Enshudainenbutsu

Here is a definition of the Dainenbutsu stolen from here;

Enshu Dainenbutsu (Buddhist Chanting Ritual)

When a family commemorates the first Obon holidays after the death of a loved one, they may request that a dainenbutsu (Buddhist chanting ritual) be performed outside their house. This is one of the local performing arts of the Enshu region. The group always forms a procession in front of the house led by a person carrying a lantern and marches to the sound of flutes, Japanese drums and cymbals.

On Saturday, Ritsy attended the annual neighborhood meeting, I didn't because I wouldn't be able to understand what they were saying. It seems that everyone in our community has taken part in the dainenbutsu ceremony that is held here, which basically means that it will be our turn probably next year or the year after that. Now the ceremony is quite interesting and unique to this area of Japan, so that is kind of exciting- but it would also be quite tough. We watched a little bit of it last year at a house near ours and they chanted for a very long time! Ritsuko volunteered to take part in the ceremony, but the tradition is that the man of the house has to take part. Usually it happens over the course of three days- and Ritsy says that it will go over night - so I would lose out on work and sleep while doing it (two very important things to me!). But the scary thing will be for me, an outsider, a gaijin, to have to learn the Budhist chants and possibly dance and perform it over three days. While I may have a couple of years still before really worrying about it, it really provides motivation to work a little harder on studying Japanese!

Ritsy pointed out the other day that my blog title might not be entirely appropriate if I am going to talk about things other than Hamamatsu. To me it still fits as my home base is in Hamamatsu so even if I am talking about Canada, I am doing it from Hamamatsu... Well, if anyone can think of a more appropriate title, I would be interested to hear it!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

What's the weather like?

Todd L said...

Hi Sorry, I am a little late responding to this Aunt Liz!

There is a lot of extreme weather here in Japan. The winters are cold but dry, I've never actually seen snow in Hamamatsu, but I heard that it did snow once. Spring warms up quite a bit, but the nights can still get cold. Summer is hot and muggy- usually around 33-35 degrees. Fall is usually pretty hot, but the temperature drops pretty quickly come October. In the middle there is what we call the "rainy season". We are at that time asailed with hard rain falls for about a month. And we also have typhoon season which spans a month or two.

It's really a lot more extreme than Vancouver (but maybe warmer than Toronto...?)