Tuesday, January 23, 2007

Hockey Night in Hamatown

Sunday was mostly spent resting the head after a night of drinking (of course after I made it through my classes- sorry to my students!). But I was glad that I called Chris up because he reminded me that our other friend Pete had invited us to watch him play some hockey. He even promised to score some goals and get in a fight for us.

Well even Ritsy was interested to go and watch- it's pretty dry for watching live hockey around here.

So when Ritsy got home, we hopped in the car and picked up Chris, then headed off to the Miyatake Sports Center to watch some hockey. Our plan was to have some McDonalds on the way, but we changed our plans and settled for some kaiten sushi nearby. What a great call! My hungover body was so happy to be taking in sushi, I automatically felt 5 times better by time we left. Incidentally if you ever have a chance to eat kinme(gold eye red-snapper) nigiri do it! It's delicious!

Pete literally letting off some steam between periods.

The game was actually pretty interesting, I think even first time hockey watcher Chris was enjoying it. Unfortunately Peter Wright's team only had 8 men so couldn't actually change a whole line out at a time. So by the third period the team was really slowing down and looking exhausted against a fully stocked opponent. They got up to a 5-3 deficit, but then the other team started scoring like mad and it was a 9-3 final I think. Pete was great though, he had some great stick handling, could muscle the opponents out of the way, and even tried a Mario Lemieux style behind the feet shot. Well I want to check out a game when he has some more players! Or even better yet try to learn to skate and play too! We'll see....
Incidentally if anyone was looking to buy a single Ice Skating item, they have it for sale at the center. I wonder what the one item is, I hope it is a skate...

No comments: