Tuesday, January 9, 2007

Looking back part 1: First Trip{a}

Today is back to work, so I hope I can keep up my posting, but sometimes the work wears me out a bit.

As not too much happened today, I want to talk about my first trip that I took to Hamamatsu. As I don't want to overload with pictures, I will only show you one for each main topic and I will link to a video with all the remaining pictures should you wish to see them. I know not everyone has a fast connection, so I don't want to overload the pictures.

Sadly, one New Years day, I took my wife's camera to a party with me and on the way home, I lost the memory card for that camera, so half of the trip's pictures were lost! Needless to say, you can imagine that the wife was less than impressed.

I first came to Japan in November of 2001. I remember the year vividly because the day we drove from Whistler to pick up our tickets was Sept 11, 2001. Most people know what happened that day. Well we arrived in Osaka and met our dear friend Kayo. We stayed in a pretty seedy party of town, which was interesting to see what that looks like in Japan. But needless to say I was pretty happy to move on the next day to Kyoto. We stayed at the hotel at Kyoto station and took a tour. On the tour we started out by seeing Heian shrine, which was quite beautiful and starkly orange...

Next stop was Chionin, which had some interesting history, but if I remember correctly we were not allowed to take pictures, this was the only one;

After that we visited Kinkakuji and kiyumizudera that I mentioned in my previous blog entry;

Next day we headed into Hamamatsu for my first encounter with my future home. We traveled straight to Ritsy's friends house where they made a huge feast. We attended the wedding reception for her friend Miho, they were very generous and welcomed me to the party with never meeting me, they also let us stay in a hotel room that night, their treat! Very memorable. Well I am already running into photo trouble, so I will post more next day, and I will start with some photos from the wedding, and then I will post the link to the video with the pictures!

No comments: